Sunday, June 7, 2015

More than just a Costume

Note: this post was a previous post from Sept. 2014.

Aww Comic Con! The place where "nerds" come together to enjoy each other's company, and get recognized for doing what everyone else has been making fun of them for doing all year, but now is suddenly "cool".
This was my second year going to the SLC Comic Con. Last year was so fun watching all the people and seeing all costumes, and celebrities, that this year I decided to try my hand at making some costumes for Bryan and I to wear.
We love the CW show Arrow and decided that my husband would go as Oliver Queen aka the green arrow. And I would go as Sarah Lance aka black canary.  Then we find out Stephen Amell, Manu Bennett and Jon Barrowman from the show will all be there!! What luck!! 
I also decided that I would try my hand at the cosplay contest. So that called for as authentic costumes as possible! Unfortunately after making my costume I found out that we would be unable to enter the cosplay contest! Bummer!
However, all was not lost, I learned so much making our costumes! For example I learned to work with a lot of materials I had never worked with before. I used boning to make my corset, I mixed knits and pleather for my jacket, and did a fly front on jeans for myself and my husband!! Might I also add that I lined the corset and jackets too! Go me!!
But beyond the new skills I acquired, I learned a few things about myself
1-I look pretty good in a sweetheart neckline.
2-Pleather is very hot to wear. Luckily the day we went it never got above 80. :)
3-Just putting on a pleather jacket makes me feel cool!
4-I am way more outgoing and confident when I'm in a costume w/ a mask (and I think it helped that no one knew who I was!)
So besides the crappy long lines and not getting to do the cosplay contest, we had a great time simply being together and enjoying the things we love!

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment